Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easter Sunday

Easter, being a religious holiday is a big deal in Namibia. We get a 4.5 day weekend, and most people travel home to their villages. This Easter my sister and her family stayed here in town, so I was able to celebrate the holiday with them, and Shannon and Derek, some volunteers I am traveling to Malawi with.

I decided that it would be fun to do an old fashion Easter Egg Hunt with the kids, however the package from my mom with the egg dying kit had not yet arrived, so we did it old school, water, vinegar and food coloring. After we dyed the eggs with the two older kids, Derek, Shannon and I hid them around the yard and the kids, even Emmy looked for the eggs and sweets.

After the egg hunt, we sat around and talked, and cooked some traditional food for lunch. I made pap and mutate (porridge and greens) for the first time, all by myself... mostly. Even though I am officially too old to look for Easter eggs, somehow Easter egg hunts still manage to be a ton of fun!

 

The kids dying the eggs, we had pink, green and blue.

Ethan... he is just the cutest but somehow he manages to be such a handful.

Clara and Ethan with the eggs.
 

Emmy, to young to dye the eggs but not to young to look for them...

The final eggs.

So cute! So Naughty!

Clara... so beautiful!

You can't even tell he was just throwing a fit...

 
 
My sister Leticia and Emmy

Clara looking for the eggs and sweets

Emmy made sure she wasn't left out

Ethan getting some eggs

And digging for sweets in the tire

Clara with her bag of goodies

this little one likes pointing at the camera...

there were no baskets, but they still had a blast!

My sister and the kids

Me and Ethan... he finally started saying my name, Juney, but if you ask him what my name is, he will still tell you it is Sirumbu... kids.
 
I am going to steal her when I come back to the states.
 
I hope you all had a very Happy Easter!
 
xoxox
June

1 comment: