Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Rundu Catalyst Youth Group

The Rundu Catalyst Youth Group is the group of youth that I am currently spending most of my time with. This group is a branch of the national group OYO, Ombetja Yehinga Organisation who's purpose is to reach out to the youth of Namibia through drama's, song and dance. The messages shared by the OYO groups focus on issues that youth in Namibia are facing, teenage pregnancy, HIV/Aids, sugar daddies, baby dumping, peer pressure and many others. I was fortunate enough to join the Rundu group on their week long tour to the southern Namibian tour of Mariental where they spent the week performing for different schools and community members in the area.

Not only did it make me fall more in love with the kids, but it gave me the information needed to help the group continue performing and working together here in Rundu. I spend every day with this group, and although sometimes they make me want to rip my hair out, I love them... and one day, when I leave the land of the brave, saying goodbye to these youth, will be the hardest part.


The entire group
At the school in Aranos
 
The ladies

The boys... clearly not gentlemen...

Outside Mariental... which way should we go?

During a show... We Believe in A, B, & C; Abstain, Be Faithful and Condomize... that last part always makes the learners laugh.

Doing what I do best, giving tests to the learners and holding the snapbacks.

These little girls were a big fan of the white lady.

 

Playing around after the show, waiting for the learners to return their tests.


Performing in the rain

They love to dance

Performing before dinner

Viewers from afar.

Performing in Aranos

 
Cassie hanging himself after he is infected with HIV... it has its intense moments
 

They will perform anywhere they can get an audience, even if that audience is sitting in a fallen tree

Hanging out with my two favorite guys!

Me and Beja, the leader of the group
 
Looks kinda like home

The sky has to be bigger in Africa...

A beautiful sunset on our last night of the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment