Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Nepemba Is Going North...


On September 20th, I will move north to Rundu where I will spend the next two years of my life working with the Rundu Multi-Purpose Youth Resource Center. The youth center works to provide opportunities for Youth to develop relevant life and work skills, which will help them, become responsible and self-reliant members of society.

My role will be as follows... The volunteer will provide business mentoring and coaching for youth entrepreneurs; train the youth on how to possibly run and manage a business effectively; help set up business clubs for youth entrepreneurs; help source funds for youth entrepreneurship development; provide leadership to youth; as well as provide HIV and AIDS training and counseling.

I will be living in a 2 bedroom flat, with a kitchen, living room and a bathroom. I will have running hot water and electricity… these are rare commodities, and I am thrilled to have them. I also have a lockable fence around my home so I will be safe and secure, which is very comforting as I will be living alone.

To help me learn more about Kavango and start making some connections in the region, I will be introduced to my “foster family” once I arrive. Being that I wont be living with them, they are not technically my host family, but I will go over to their home for dinner a few nights per week and spend time learning and practicing language. It will be nice to have that connection there to use as a support network.

I could not have come up with a better job description myself! I have spent years working hard so that I could love my work and find passion in what I am doing; today when the Peace Corps handed me an envelope with this job description, my dream became a reality. I could not be more excited for what this next two years will bring me!

Rather than just tell us where we are going, our trainers drew a huge map of Namibia in the dirt behind the training hall, blindfolded us, and led us to the region, town/village that we will be working in. They gave us a folder with our job description in it and made us wait until everyone was placed before we were able to open our eyes and see where we were and what we would be doing. As you can see, I am in Rundu and that blue folder holds the best job in the world!



With a population of 60,000, Rundu is the second largest town in Namibia and will most likely become a city in the next few years. We have been told that it is very beautiful with very diverse wildlife, hippos, crocodiles, loads of birds, and stupid, gross snakes... All of us that are going to Rundu, and the Kavango region are bound to have a great time!
The crest of the Namibian Government, also used by my new employer, the Ministry of Youth! YAY!







No comments:

Post a Comment